Appliance Tips to Reduce Energy Expenses
If you want to reduce your energy bill, the best place to start is with home appliances. Your refrigerators, washer, and dryer are using up tons of energy every day while you are working, watching TV, or even sleeping. You can reduce the amount of energy your appliances require with these simple tips.
- Position your refrigerator out of direct sunlight so it doesn’t have to work so hard to remain cool.
- Make sure there are 2-3 inches of space behind your refrigerator. By leaving space between the back of the refrigerator and the wall, you give the external condenser coils room to have better airflow.
- Use a mild soap to clean the seals around the door every six months. If the seals are cracked or you feel cold air around the edges of the closed door, you need to replace them.
- You should also clean the condenser coils every six months. If there is dust accumulated on the coils, it will take more energy to cool.
- Remember that every time you open the door, cold air escapes. Keep it closed!
- By keeping more items in the refrigerator, it will stay cold more easily and you will avoid having to call a refrigerator repair technician.
- Clean out that lint filter after every load of clothes.
- Only dry full sized loads and use the moisture sensor to determine how long the cycle should run.
- Make sure the dryer vent has adequate room and isn’t squashed against the wall. If you need your dryer vent repaired call us for dryer repair service and we will take care of this for you.
- If it’s possible, switch to front-loading washers, which use 30% of the water that the top-loading washers require.
- Wash clothes in cold water to save on heating costs.
- Don’t wash clothes until you have a full load.
- Take advantage of high-speed spin cycles to rid your clothes of water for shorter drying times.
If your washer shows signs of leaking, you may need to call a washer repair technician to fix your seals.
Use these easy tips to accumulate major savings on your energy bill. You don’t have to have expensive energy efficient appliances to get big savings. You just have to know how to properly maintain your appliances to keep them functioning properly.